travel tips

While I am certainly not the most experienced world traveler, I have quite a bit of international traveling experience.  This weekend I will add a sixth country to my list of foreign places I've visited, and since my first summer in Sevilla with case after case of traveling mis-haps, I've learned a lot and figured out things over time that make the experience so much more enjoyable.

For example, here is a picture of one of several travel disasters during my first summer in Spain. We had an incident that involved missing our bus- the last one for the night- so here we are on the bathroom floor (only place where we could find an outlet to charge phones) trying to figure out how to get back to Sevilla. 

  • Pack appropriately. Appropriately leaves a lot to subjectivity and opinion.  I don't consider myself an overpacker, but I also like to have what I want to be comfortable.  Comfortability = confidence in a lot of traveling situations. I'd rather pay the baggage weight overage fee to bring a few extra pairs of shoes so I can switch when they get uncomfortable, or so that I can bring my favourite toiletry items that aren't available where I'm going; I also know that it's hard to find shoes that fit my feet while traveling, so I can't always "just pick up a pair" if I need.  Basic shampoo or soap might be things to skip and buy there, if you're staying for a longer time and not in a hotel, but I know that I'm going to want my face wash.  In the same regard, I pack clothes that I am going to be comfortable in, that I like, and that will give me a variety.  There are many things that you can buy wherever you go, but there are other comforts of home that contribute to a more positive and convenient overall experience.  This is something that I think is a lot different if you're going to France for a week, per se, but these are "splurges" I have made to make my overall experience more positive. 
  • Organise financial arrangements. Remember in Sevilla when an ATM ate my debit card and I was without means to get cash for 5 weeks? So I definitely learned this lesson the hard way, but I would highly recommend calling all banks and card providers before leaving the country, even if they don't *require* it. Then there won't be any issues with denied purchases, identity theft scares, or questions about fees. I have also felt more comfortable traveling with a decent amount of currency for the destination country.  If worst came to worst, I could get by with that for awhile.  My recommendation is to periodically take out as much cash as possible from an ATM, as for me, that transaction fee is cheaper than international fees on my credit card (I have a very basic student card, but still), and cards aren't as widely accepted as they are in the US. At home, I have a secure place where I keep my cash and one of my credit cards so I have that back up in case of emergency- I keep this separate from my passport.  I also suggest taking some time to familiarise yourself with the currency- denominations of money and such.   
  • Register with the US Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrolment Program (STEP).  You enter basic info regarding your travel dates and locations, and in the event of emergency, the government can alert you of any problems or restrictions in particular areas and has info on your whereabouts.  For example, on the way home from my first trip to Spain, this is how I learned that we might have serious delays leaving Madrid and needed to have all electronics powered enough to turn on if necessary.  It's a good precaution to take just to have all things in order in the case of a worst-case scenario (that we hope never happens). 
  • Figure out your cell phone. For me, all of my international trips have been long term, so it has always been best to buy a SIM card in Spain.  I have used Orange, and I can buy the card and get 2 GB of data and calls/texts in Spain for 20 euros. It is really easy to re-load as needed at various groceries and other stores.  For shorter term trips, like for Mom and Abby this summer, an international plan through your typical US provider might be easier.  I think the most important thing to have is internet access.  Although you can get wifi at most places (hotels and restaurants), you won't have wifi a lot of times when you need it most.  I feel so much more secure knowing I have my phone ready to go in my bag if I get lost or in case of emergency.  I also suggest having some kind of portable charging device!
  • Prepare travel documents.  It sounds a little dated, but I always make sure to leave a copy of my passport at home and bring a copy plus the original with me. I also keep a copy of it in my phone, and my phone is password protected.  Your driver's license likely means nothing to your destination country, so you'll likely need the passport for hotel check-ins and of course for any fights. From my experience, you don't need it for bus or train travel, but it might be best practice to travel with it regardless. I never carry it with me, aside from travel. I also take pictures of my credit cards so I have bank and provider numbers.  I have gotten away from any hard-copy boarding passes and entry tickets, and this hasn't even been a problem for me; you can always print a boarding pass at the airport if you really want or need it.  I have read mixed reviews about bringing physicals, shot records, or prescriptions; I think this is more case-by-case depending on the destination country, but I've never needed any of that, but I also don't have any prescription meds or serious allergies.     
  • Take screenshots of important info.  I have various pictures on my phone of bus schedules, addresses, itineraries, tickets, and more.  I guess I'm out of luck if my phone dies, but I always have important things "on hand."  Wherever I stay, I try to either take a business card from the hotel with the address or have a picture of the address in case of any emergency or if I just forget (not likely, but prepare!).  
  • Learn some language.  Obviously we can't all speak all languages beautifully- wouldn't that be nice!  However, from my experience in Spain, France, and Germany, an honest effort goes a long way.  Spaniards aren't known for speaking much English, and although Germans are renowned language speakers and usually know a lot of English, they are typically more kind if you at least try.  French are very nationalistic, and even if they don't understand your sorry attempts to order or ask for directions, they will probably treat you a little more kindly.  I always advise people to imagine a non-English speaker in the US; our patience is very short with any language other than English or even strong accents, so be prepared for the language challenges by giving a good effort. 
  • Plan, plan, and plan. I cannot recommend enough the value of creating a very detailed itinerary.  If you say, "Oh, we'll just find somewhere to eat in this area," that will be the one neighbourhood where there are no cafes open.  If you say, "We'll just get the tickets when we get there that morning," you might miss out on tickets altogether or have to wait in ridiculous lines.  I also find that planning ahead helps me budget and prioritise my time.  I figure out the transportation routes I need and travel time required so I know how much I can pack into my day.  I'm usually on a crunch to squeeze in lots of sightseeing in a weekend or even just a day, but I think even if you have a more leisurely stay, it helps to know which days you're doing what, at a bare minimum.  I plan on sharing our London, Madrid, and Paris and other day trip itineraries later this summer so you can see an example.  Google Maps and Pinterest are great resources for mapping time and finding highlights. 
  • Carry basics with you. I always have a water bottle, Kleenex, hand sanitiser, and a snack (in addition to other essentials) in my purse or whatever bag I'm carrying.  The Kleenex is particularly helpful in disturbing European bathroom situations, if you catch my drift, and the water bottle saves a lot of money- I fill it up in bathroom faucets (that are cleanlier, of course, than the aforementioned bathroom scenarios) and always have water with me.    
  • Establish some rules.  Aside from my first trip to Spain, I almost always travel solo. I prefer this, actually, and I really love exploring new places on my own.  However, being alone, particularly as a younger woman, poses some obvious threats and concerns.  In addition to all of the other advice that I'd call precautionary measures, I also have a few "rules" that I try to follow.  First of all, I always look up direction for my next stop when I am in my hotel or at a restaurant and have wifi. I take screen shots of the directions, but I try to memorise them as well as possible so I'm not wandering around with my nose in my phone.  If I get off track or feel like I'm not going the right way, I go into a restaurant, sit down and order a drink or snack, and regroup.  Pulling out a map on the side of the street, or even a app on a phone, screams, "I don't know what I'm doing and I'm alone," so this is something I practice religiously.  The other thing I have splurged on a few times is a taxi.  In Spain, I never feel uncomfortable just because it's later at night; there are always people out- as many or more as there are during the day- innocently walking around or eating on restaurant patios.  However, there have been a few times when I've opted to just take a cab to get back to my hotel more quickly and avoid multiple transportation changes, for example.  Public transport is usually my plan, but I'm not afraid to take a cab if needed and budget accordingly in advance.  Taxis, though expensive, can also speed up your travel time if you need to get from one place to another quickly!  I almost always just plan to take a cab from a train station to the city centre, as train and bus stations are often far away from the city's real destinations.  I would much rather feel comfortable by sacrificing some of the money I'd planned to spend on a meal that I spent a cab instead than feel scared or uncomfortable by putting myself in an even potentially sketchy situation to save some bucks.
  • See it all, but don't be afraid to slow down.  I find that having a super-detailed plan helps me to do this very well.  If I feel like I need to sleep a bit later, I do it, knowing that I have to back up my itinerary a little bit to make things fit in the schedule.  If I need to stop and take a bit longer at lunch to enjoy some air conditioning, a drink, and the restroom, I do it even if it means I spend a bit more money than I was planning on or have to cut out a small stop on the way to the next thing.  Traveling is exhausting, so I find that I have to give myself some breaks so that I don't get irritable and so that I don't waste all of my energy. I firmly believe in the "you can sleep at home" mantra, but it's also nice to leave with some composure and energy left in the tank, good feelings towards whomever you traveled with, and pleasant memories of the time you spent in a place.  For example, I'm excited to likely go back to Toledo with Mom and Abby to restore or renew my opinion of the city. My last experience was with people I was getting a bit tired of traveling with (guilty) and was part of a jam-packed, unorganised few days in Madrid.        
Traveling isn't just a matter of booking a flight and showing up. The entire process, from planning to unpacking when you get back home, is tiresome but the experiences are so worth it, and these pointers can help minimise some of the extra stress and complications.

Comments

Popular Posts