madrid bucket list

I cannot believe how time flies.  When it's hard to leave, everyone says the time will fly, and I believe it because I know it.  It's true.  Somehow I always get to the end and restart a new transition that is even harder than coming in the first place.

Since I had been to Madrid before and knew it pretty well, I made a very focused bucket list not too long after getting here.  From past experience, I would get to the end of a trip and either be rushing to fit it all into the last few days after sitting around not knowing what to do with my time in previous weeks.  I had really seen most of the top sights in the city from my other trips, so this bucket list was a little more broad in some ways, and more specific in others.

So far, I have only three things left on my list.  I anticipate still checking off at least one of them, but hopefully two, maybe three.  Note: I had already done some of the things that were on my mental to-do list before creating a written list, so you won't see everything here, but it was a starting point!  

Sights:

- Templo de Debod: CHECK

The Temple of Debod is a popular monument in Madrid.  It's actually an Egyptian temple.  When I was downtown with Pilar and her brother Fran on my second weekend, we went over to that area while we were wandering around!



- Palacio de Cristal: CHECK

The first time I was in Madrid, we didn't plan anything and also didn't know about anything we were seeing -_- aka Parque de El Retiro.  Last year when Pilar and I were in Madrid, she and Yolando didn't think the Glass Palace was worth our time when we were in the park!  It's on all the must-see lists for Madrid, so I wanted to at least see it.  Definitely not worth the hype, in my opinion, that Pinterest gives it (lol), but I was glad to check it off!


- Reina Sofia Museum: CHECK

I'd been here before but it was a must for my "go back and see." I wanted it on the list so I would be sure to get there, and I did!  And I went on free hours day!  Fun fact: I haven't paid for any museum entry this entire trip (aside from London and Paris).



- Palacio de Cibeles Terrace: have plans on the calendar!

In the Cibeles Palace, you can go up to a terrace for cool views of the city.  The hours are weird, so I haven't done it before but have plans to go before my church group on Tuesday!

Restaurants:

- La Infinito: CHECK

This was a trendy spot that I found when googling cool places to eat in Madrid.  Most bars and restaurants are really the same in Madrid.  There are only so many variations to potatoes, bread, and eggs.  But La Infinito stood out as a cafe with fun drinks in a cool neighbourhood.  I went with my friend Caroline before church one night.

- La Rodilla: CHECK

I took Mom and Abby here on their first day in Madrid.  It's a Spanish chain restaurant and has super cheap and fun cafe food.

- La Tierra Burritos: no plans... hopefully by the end of the week when I run out of food and don't want to stock up on any more groceries!

Travel:

- Segovia: CHECK

Read about it here: http://asenoritainsevilla.blogspot.com.es/2017/06/segovia.html



- Toledo: CHECK

Read about it here: http://asenoritainsevilla.blogspot.com.es/2017/07/toledo.html



- Valencia: CHECK

Read about it here and more posts to come: http://asenoritainsevilla.blogspot.com.es/2017/07/valencia-prep-and-planning.html



- Aranjuez:

- El Escorial:  I have plans (more like desires, if time works) to go to El Escorial OR Aranjuez by the end of the week. Both are lengthy but doable afternoon rips in public transportation from Madrid. 

My bucket list only includes half of the things I wanted to do and did.  I will never see it all, and I will always wish I had more time, but looking back on all I've done while in Spain makes me feel super satisfied.    

Comments

Popular Posts