excursion to camarma

Mom and Abby's two weeks in Europe have been about as maximised as possible: 3 countries, 4 major cities, and lots of other stops along the way.  While they were in Spain for the week, we also saw Camarma and Toledo- on top of Madrid!






Even with London and Paris working as book-ends to our time in Spain, a highlight of this European vacation was having Mom and Abby visit Camarma.  I think they were both happy to get out of the city for awhile.  When I was done with work on Thursday, I met up with them and we hopped on the train to Alcalá.  Somehow we got the wrong train- I have done the trip a dozen times and never made this mistake- so we made a loop around Madrid before starting on our way to Alcalá de Henares.  Though the mishap added an hour to our travel time, it was nice to see the city from different angles and have some down time.  Pilar picked up up from the Alcalá bus station.  That was the first time Mom and Abby had met her!  It was so fun for me to have them all together.


It was raining, and we'd planned to walk around Alcalá a little before going to Camarma, but with the rain and the extra time spent on the train, we went straight to Camarma.  We drove past ECA where I student taught and made a lap around Camarma in her car.  Then, we went to Pilar's house.  It was fun for Mom and Abby to see my "home."  After that, we went to a restaurant in Camarma that I hadn't been to before but passed every day on my walk to school last year.  The owner waited on us and seemed to really enjoy having us there.  He said a former US Secretary of State (James Baker) used to frequent his restaurant.  We tried four plates and split them among all of us, and we also got arroz con leche and flan for dessert to share!



Pilar spoke as much English as she could, and I translated when needed.  We talked a little bit about everything and had such a great time.  After three years and three trips, I could not believe that I finally had my family in Spain with me, and it was even more special that they got to meet and spend time with Pilar.  

Pilar dropped us off at the Alcalá station to catch the train back that night- no issues this time- and we made it back just before midnight.

Comments

Popular Posts