sevilla day 1

I've spent the past 4 days in my favorite city, Sevilla.  There's a song called "Sevilla tiene un color especial" or "Sevilla has a special color," and I couldn't agree more.  Just walking down the streets and taking in everything around gives off an energy that's indescribable, but it's exactly how I imagine Spain.  I've seen a lot, done a lot, and walked a lot, so I'm going to break my Sevilla posts into several entries.  Enjoy "Day 1!"

Train Travel

I left for Sevilla pretty early on Friday morning.  Pilar took me to the train station in Alcalá on her way to work (sort of/not really on the way- she's the best) so that I wouldn't have to mess with catching the bus in Camarma first.  My AVE ticket to get to Sevilla included a ticket to use the Madrid metro to get to the main train station, Atocha.  All I had to do was go to the ticket window, ask the attendant for my pass, and head out to the platform to catch the metro.  The trains to Madrid leave every 9-10 minutes, but one was already there when I got to the platform, so I hopped right on!  It takes about 40 minutes to get to Puerta de Atocha.  The train was pretty full with commuters at this time of day but still felt really safe.  Atocha is the last stop for this particular train, so it was super easy to know when and where to get off- and it was exactly how Pilar had shown me when we came to Madrid.

After getting off the metro in Atocha, I had to change to a different section of the station to get on the long distance trains.  The station is like an airport with signs showing departures and arrivals and indicating which terminal or platform one should go to.  All I had to do was go up to the second floor of the station and go through security (way easier than airport security x 1000), and I was at the terminal where I would catch my train.  The train platforms aren't posted as much in advance as airplane gates are, so I waited for awhile in the main area to see where I would get on the train.  Perfect amount of time to grab a snack and use the bathroom (which was actually tolerable).  All of the trains were probably this way because of Semana Santa/Holy Week, but the train to Sevilla was packed.  They opened 3 platforms to help people get on quickly.  We left right on time, and soon I was speeding across southern Spain at speeds up to almost 200 miles per hour!  I loved traveling by train.  I made it to Sevilla in just over 2 hours- a trip that would've taken 6-7 hours by bus or car and still an hour and a half in a plane, but I avoided those complications!

I was amazed by how safe and confident I felt navigating through Madrid's main train station and hub of public transportation during rush hour heading into Holy Week.  I think feel more nervous on the subway in Chicago; this could have something to do with the fact that I'm usually with my mother who I think gives me travel anxiety.





La Catedral

After checking in to my hotel and dropping off my bags, I decided to head into the the center right away to start taking care of my "to see" list.  I had pre-reserved tickets to the Cathedral, so I chose to go there first thinking that I'd probably have to wait in line for awhile since the tickets didn't give an exact entrance time.  On the contrary, I actually walked right up to the "pre-reservation" ticket line and got right in!  The line to enter was around the corner of the Cathedral, which I was expecting for Holy Week and just because it always is long in general.  On the inside, the Cathedral actually felt less busy and congested than anytime I had been there during the summer.  I was lucky that I went on Friday instead of Saturday, but I still expected it to be more crowded.  I could actually take pictures and take in the atmosphere without feeling swarmed by people.  Although I'd been in the Cathedral several times and walked passed it every single day, I am still so amazed by its massiveness and attention to detail, especially considering the time period in which it was built.  Even today, with all of our technology and resources, I don't think we would take the time to build something so intricate.
I debated about buying an audioguide and decided against it, but I did end up "leisurely walking behind" a senior citizen tour group from the US.  No one asked me to stop, and I got some free information and fun facts :)




Plaza de España and Parque María Luisa

I was a little ahead of my mental schedule since I'd been able to check in early at the hotel, so I decided to do more than I'd planned for on Friday after visiting the Cathedral.  My hotel was about a 30 minute walk from the center, so I decided to stay in the area and see more so that I wouldn't have to make trips back and forth.  I went to see Plaza de España, one of my favorite sights in Sevilla and all of Spain.  It was built for the Iberian Exposition in 1928, and it's another site in which no detail has been forgotten or overlooked.  The water features, the ceramic details, and the size of the monument are unbelievable.  I took more time than I ever had before to walk up in the towers and look more closely at the Plaza.  One of my favorite things is at the base of the monument; benches and murals depicting each of the 50 Spanish provinces.  The murals show maps of the province, highlighting major cities and geographic features, and they feature an image of the culture or history of the area.  I found Madrid's mural, but it was fun to walk past all of them and see how many places in Spain I've been.

Plaza de España is part of Parque María Luisa, so I walked through and saw some of the main highlights of the park on my way to my next stop.  Parks in Spain are so unlike anything we have in Indiana or the US as a whole.



The Province of Madrid's mural and bench.


The rest of the day...

I loved knowing where I was all weekend long; I was much more comfortable while traveling alone knowing that I always had a reference point to get an idea of where I was if I was ever uncertain.

After walking along the river and taking my time strolling down sidewalks that used to be a part of my daily commute, I went to the Metropol Parisol, or Las Setas/Mushrooms.  This is one of my other favorite Sevilla things, because even though it's pretty touristy, the locals also enjoy it too.  Really most things in Sevilla (maybe not the Cathedral) are enjoyed by tourists and Sevillanas alike, but I always see Spaniards on dates or having fun with friends at places like Metropol Parisol.  I decided to go to Las Setas in the evening, but it worked out perfectly that I was heading up to the top just minutes before sunset.  The views are great from Las Setas; I prefer the view from there over the view from La Giralda in the Cathedral because you can see the tower and cathedral from Las Setas and take in all of the "skyline" of Sevilla at once due to its location.



I had dinner at Taberna Coloniales, which is a pretty famous restaurant in Seville.  I had been there twice while studying abroad, so I had planned to visit again just because I knew where it was and knew what I could get there!  I enjoyed visiting spots that I spent a lot of time at when I was here 2 years ago: "hangouts" like Casa Brava or Steak and Shake would be to me at home!  From there, I took a cab back to my hotel.  I didn't feel scared to walk alone at night, but since I was still getting familiar with the area where my hotel was and didn't know the exact route for getting back, I decided it would just be easier.  Plus I'd walked over 12 miles and was just tired.

Day one was an absolute blast.  I felt liked I'd never left and like Sevilla was a new place all at the same time.  I guess it goes back to the "Sevilla tiene un color especial..."



Comments

Popular Posts