I now have a spanish bank account...

Last weekend I decided I wanted to open a bank account in Spain so that I could get a Spanish bank card- which is needed for most things since an American debit card isn't usually accepted unless it's used at an ATM or as a credit card.  I mostly wanted the bank card so I could get the contract with Orange Wireless so I can get consistent wifi at home.  I was fully prepared to go get the account set up on Saturday, but the banks aren't open on Saturdays.  The hours are 8:30-2:30 Monday through Friday... Tell me who can really get there during those hours.

There are approximately 10 banks in Camarma de Esteruelas, which is probably the size of or smaller than Summitville.  I don't know why they need 10 banks that are only open for a few hours a week on certain days, but there they are.  I decided to go with BBVA just because I'd heard bad things about Santender and I wanted a bank that is all over Spain and not just local.  Also I think there are BBVA's in the US?


Today I decided that I was going to go to the bank first thing in the morning to get my bank account set up.  I let my teacher know I could be a little late to school so I could take care of this.  The bank opened about 10 minutes late.  Isn't it nice to not have to worry about punctuality?  Thankfully I was the first one in the bank, so I got to get started right away.  I needed my passport, my address, and some sort of document that proved why I was in Spain (I used a letter from IWU since I don't have a Visa).  It was a little more complicated since I don't have a Visa or residency in Spain, but I did a lot of research to make sure I had adequate substitute materials.    

Opening the bank account was no problem.  Most of the process involved me waiting while the banker entered my information. Our funniest interactions were when he asked for my email address- we both laughed awkwardly and I just wrote it down- and when he was confused about why I needed to put the state and the city.  I'm not sure why that was weird for him, because Spanish addresses have the city and the province, but whatever.  Also seeing 1004 E, etc. instead of Calle de José María Luisa Gonzalez de la Mancha de Guadalajar de Nuestra Señora or some other lengthy Spanish street name was probably strange.

When I told him I wanted a bank card, he said he didn't think it was possible, but he said he would check.  I almost just said to skip opening the account since that was my main purpose for the account, but I went ahead with the process.  I left the bank with my bank book and lots of paperwork that I wouldn't understand, even if it was in English, but no bank card.  The banker was super super nice and shook my hand with a laugh when I left- even though handshakes aren't a thing in Spain.  He showed me how to use the ATM, even though I definitely know how to do that, and gave me his business card.  He said to call him if I ever need anything.  Precious Spanish grandpas.  I was frustrated that I didn't have a card still, but I decided to just wait and call the bank next week to see if I could get one.

I'm now a proud BBVA bank member... in Spain.
This afternoon, I had several missed phone calls and a voice mail... from the banker.  He wanted me to know that he found out a way to get a bank card for me, and all I needed to do was go online to give permission from my account that I wanted the card.  I also am excited that I had a phone conversation with a Spaniard and understood everything because usually talking on the phone is really hard since I can't see the person.  Right now I can't get my username and password to work, but I'm so excited that I will likely have a Spanish debit card within the next week!

I did a lot of research before going to the bank, just because I didn't want to be surprised by anything or to get there and find out that I would need certain paperwork that I didn't have.  I had seen that most banks charge a fee to open an account, but that this fee can be waived if you're under 26.  I also learned recently that most banks charge customers to store their money in the bank, so instead of earning interest, they are charged interest!  Thankfully, both of these fees are waived for me!    I will have to pay a rather sizable fee to have a debit card (21 euros or something), but at this point I'm just glad to be moving forward in the right direction!

These are the moments that 4 years of an "En el banco" chapter in my high school Spanish books has prepared me for.  Everyone at school was so impressed that I opened the account by myself, so I was kind of on a Spanish-high for the rest of the day.  Here is some fun bank related vocabulary for you ;):

  • banco- bank
  • cuenta- account
  • tarjeta- card (add crédito before it for credit or banco before it for bank/debit card)
  • telebanco- ATM
  • prestamo- loan (I didn't need to know this today, but I for some reason I will never forget this word)
  • dinero- money
  • efectivo- cash 

Comments

  1. All good terms to learn! Prestamo por favor! Yes - I googled BBVA and they are in the United States. But they are only in a weird cross section of States: Alabama, Arizona, Florida, California, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas. Most likely because there are large populations of Spanish people in those states is my guess!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts