madrid

On Sunday, Pilar and I had planned to go to Madrid to visit and so she could show me how to get to the train station in Alcalá for travel.  She also invited her friend, Yolanda, to go with us!  We picked up Yolanda, drove to the Alcalá de Henares train station, and were on our way!

Pilar showed me how to use my AVE tickets for Sevilla to get a free ticket to take the metro to the city of Madrid where I can board the train for Sevilla.  I think it sounds more complicated than it is.  The train ride to Madrid is about 30 minutes, but it goes by quickly with lots of scenery and stops in other suburban towns along the way.  We arrived at the Puerta de Atocha station in Madrid, and Pili and Yoli showed me how to go through AVE security and how to find my train on the monitor- really just like an airport.  The station is massive.  There is a botanical garden in the lobby of the station, and it really feels like an airport inside.  Train travel is just more common, and public transportation is so simple.

Pilar had our walk mapped out before we got to Madrid, and we basically saw everything.  At the end of the day, my phone said we'd walked over 8 miles!  We made a nice lap of the city, seeing all of the major sites.  We didn't go in any museums or attractions, but I'd already been to both of the legendary art museums and in the palace, so I wasn't disappointed.  Plus, now I know how to get there if I want to go another day!

We started our trek on the Paseo del Prado.  We walked out of the train station and the Reina Sofia Art Museum was right in front of us- this is the museum where Picasso's Guernica is on exhibit.  I saw that on my last trip to Madrid, but I'd definitely go back to the museum really just to see that.  It's really breathtaking, and I'm not even that much of an art person.  We passed the National Botanical Garden on the right, inside the Parque del Retiro.  Beautiful buildings were about 5 stories high on either side.  The tallest buildings in this part of Madrid are probably 10-12 stories high, maximum.  Pilar and Yolanda asked me what the United States is "really like," and I told them how all of our cities have skyscrapers, but they're all just gray and black.  The buildings in Madrid are colorful: yellow, pink, sky blue, orange... nothing gaudy or over the top, just very clean, regal, and simple.  We passed the Cibeles Fountain (note: I don't know what a lot of these things are called in English, so I'm trying to translate monument names), the Prado Art Museum, the National Library, the Post Office, and the Plaza of Christopher Columbus.




We then headed back towards the center of the city.  We walked through Puerta del Sol and across the Plaza, which is like our Times Square- busy day and night.  Next we headed into Plaza Mayor, which is just beautiful.  We stopped there to have the Madrid special: bocadillo de calamari or a calamari sandwich.  Really good, actually!

Bocadillo de Calamari
Plaza Puerta del Sol



We walked out towards the Royal Palace and past the Royal Theater, famous for its opera shows. Then we headed back towards Gran Via, passing the Plaza de España on the way.  I remember being surprised by how not-grand the Plaza de España is in Madrid compared to the Plaza de España in Sevilla- this one is just a monument; still beautiful, but not nearly as magnificent.  Gran Via is a main road in Madrid with all of the major stores- like 2 H&M's, both 4-5 stories tall- along the street.  There are also a lot of theaters along Gran Via.  It's an iconic street for Spanish movies and TV shows and is full of more beautiful buildings.

Gran Via

Gran Via- I have a picture in this spot with a view of every direction in the background... Thanks Pili.
Finally, we walked back towards Parque del Retiro.  Somehow we completely missed this last time I was in Madrid.  I have no idea how, because it's massive and definitely a must-see Madrid item.  It reminds me a lot of Central Park because there's a lake, lots of green space, and full of people all the time.  I really wanted to see the Crystal Palace, but I guess we passed it and Pilar and Yolanda both said it wasn't worth going back for :) Next time.


Puerta de Alcalá
Parque del Retiro
When we walked out of the park, we were right at Puerta de Atocha Station.  We decided to stop first for a dessert and coffee.  I wanted to go into Starbucks to get a mug (I have a lot of the city ones), but they wanted to just stay there for our snack!  We took our time enjoying the treat, and then we headed back to the station.  Getting back on the train to Alcalá was just as easy as getting to Madrid, and it felt nice to have the train ride to relax.  I'd just ran 6 miles the day before for my mini training, so I'd spent a lot of time on my feet!

Madrid really has got to be one of my favorite cities because everything is clean, the transportation is modern and simple, everyone's speaking Spanish, and it's loaded with perfect European history and architecture.  I'd definitely love to take another day trip before I leave- I love that we're close enough to be able to just go for the afternoon!  Pilar and Yolanda enjoyed being my tour guides in their own city.  The whole day was so much easier with them there to help than it would have been on my own, plus the company was so fun.  Plus I had someone to take pictures of me :)  Definitely a day I won't forget!  

Pilar hates this picture so don't tell her it's here :)

Comments

Popular Posts