barcelona day 3

On my final day in Barcelona, I really didn't have much planned.  I decided last minute- over-prepare so you can be flexible, people- to add a few things to my morning before I had to get to the airport!  My checkout was at 12, and my flight was at 1:15, so I had a fair amount of time to see a final few things on my "list" before heading out.

Casa Batlló

Of all of the "Gaudi houses" that I paid to enter, this is the one that I would recommend.  I still wouldn't say it's "worth it" at 20 euros for a student, but if you're going to choose one- and I think you should, because it's Barcelona, after all- I would choose this one!  Casa Batlló is a highlight of Passeig de Grecia, and that's also why the Batlló family (the house's namesake) wanted to buy it.  I loved the beautiful stained glass, the huge windows, and the tile work throughout the house.  The modernism, naturalistic elements, and functionality are demonstrated in every rail, door, window, and piece of woodwork.  The houses, and anything designed by Gaudi, really make me feel like I'm living in a fairy tale/fantasty/Disney world.  



The "vestibule" in the middle of the house and around the staircase is designed to make you feel like you're in water. 

Gothic Quarter

The Gothic Quarter is a well-known area of the heart of the city.  The architecture, like the cathedral, in this area is heavy with stone, stained glass, and other Gothic details.  It's an area with nothing and everything to see at the same time- nothing specific is a "highlight," but everything is beautiful and detailed, kind of like the Jewish Quarter (Barrio Santa Cruz) in Sevilla.


Also featuring the Catalonian flag
The Coast

I think Barcelona is so loved because of its coastal environment.  I'm typically all for beach towns, so I'll bet if I had been there in the summer, I'd like it more than I did.  I never went to the actual "beach," but I saw the coastline from multiple locations, and I spent a little time walking around the port area.  Barcelona is one of the most well-known, highly trafficked ports in Europe and the Mediterranean.  


Placa Reial
Christopher Columbus


I'm now back in Camarma to stay for awhile.  I have the weekend to rest and celebrate Easter, and then it's back to reality with full-time teaching on Monday!  Thankfully I had everything prepared for school and even turned in an assignment of 8 papers early before I left for spring break.  The last thing I wanted to worry about while traveling in Germany and throughout Spain was writing a self-analysis ;)   I do have a couple of day trips (Segovia, Madrid again, Zaragoza, etc.) that would be good options for my remaining 2 weekends in Spain, but I'm also content here in tiny Camarma de Esteruelas with the ECA community and Pilar.  I do have plans to run a 14K race in Camarma in about 2 weeks!  My time is winding down so quickly, and I know it'll go even faster once I start back to school, so I want to make the most of it before I have to leave.


Comments

  1. The whole city looks like a crazy dream. It is difficult to envision what it would take to build all of that - much like Chicago; but in a very different way if you understand what I am saying. The artisans who created all that - I can't imagine! But they did!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts