estudiantes gala

On one of the first days of my internship, I learned about the upcoming sponsorship gala.  Everyone was asking me when my last day would be, and I am certain that I heard multiple people say the gala was July 22, which would be the day before I leave Spain and the day after my last official internship day.  This week on Wednesday (June 21), I found out that the gala was actually June 21!  Of course I wanted to go, so I got the address, gave them my information, and found something to wear.

I had no idea what to expect, other than that I knew the gala was to recognize some award winners and to thank the sponsors.  Since the club is multi-faceted, the awards went to a variety of people who work for women's rights in sport, support for those with disabilities, and sport for development in general.

Gala attendees included the former president of Spain, the president and all leadership of the club, some players, representatives from various sponsors of Estudiantes, and award winners.  None of the people were particularly significant to me, but I know that there were a lot of high-status people there.  The event was held at Distrito Telefonica, which is a large conference centre/business complex about an hour from my apartment by transit.  From my understanding, it is owned by or largely occupied by Movistar, which is a phone service provider and the main sponsor for Club Estudiantes.  It is a significant distance out of the city but is a beautiful campus and great place for events like this!  The security was very high, too, likely because of all of the big-time people.

A creepy picture I caught of the ex-president! He is the one without a tie.
The gala itself was really long- almost 2 hours- and all in Spanish of course, but it was still interesting to watch and pick up what I could from award winners' speeches and such.  There was a lot of press and media there, too.



The reception following the presentation was the most enjoyable!  Sponsors had different booths with free samples, and the venue served different appetizers and drinks.  The team presented its jerseys for the upcoming year.  One of the coolest booths was HP, the printing company, who had a photo booth and a bluetooth printer to print small pictures for guests.



The highlight of the gala for me was to get to socialize informally with some people from work.  Dolores and Noemi are two girls who are about my age that work in customer service, and they really reached out to me at the gala and let me follow them around and tag along.  I enjoyed talking with them and getting to know them better, plus I got to hitch a ride back into the city with Dolores's mom after the gala.  


I was at the gala for about 6 hours- until about 11:30 pm!  Getting up today for work was rough, but I enjoyed the night and the experience.

Comments

Popular Posts