blessing blurbs 2

My internship has been hard because of the Spanish, but that is also what I wanted when I decided to come to Spain for an internship rather than Indy or somewhere in the States.  I also haven't had a ton of work to do while on the job, so when I was still adjusting, additional free time was unwelcome.  On Thursday last week, I had a total shift in attitude, emotion, and mindset.  I joked in an instagram post last Monday that "from experience, the crying will stop in 2-3 days."  During my first few days here, I really did not think that I would get more comfortable or adjusted, even though I know that this is how the transition process goes for me.  Now, I already feel leaps and bounds better, and I was just noticing today how little time I have here.  It's flying by too quickly already.


More comfortability and less anxiety lead to more opportunities to get out and try new things this week.  Last weekend I traveled with Pilar to Santander, which was a perfect relaxing getaway, and so started my excitement to go see more.  Along the way, little things again caught my attention and boosted my confidence.

1. On Monday afternoon, I decided to go to Museo del Prado downtown.  They have free hours on Monday afternoons, so it was the perfect opportunity and excuse to travel to the city centre and check out the art museum.  Although I have only been downtown Madrid 3 separate times, I almost wanted to cry when I walked out of the metro and was surrounded by familiar sights.  I knew exactly where I was going and recognised everything along the way, which was a blessing in itself.  I had gone to the Prado when I traveled to Madrid from Sevilla 3 years ago, and since I am not a huge art person and also did not have to buy a ticket, I only spent about 30-45 minutes in the museum.  I targeted a few works that I wanted to see and left!  But then I had time to explore El Retiro park and walk around on that side of town.  I was also glad to have a reason to travel to the center so that I could figure out the metro and bus to-and-from; it is a 35-40 minute trip to get down town, but I took the metro in and the bus out and had no problems with either. I also got home a little earlier than I had originally expected, which also meant an earlier bed time finally!

Museo del Prado


2. When I was at ECA last year student teaching, a lot of the teachers went to an international church in Madrid.  I never went there just because it was an almost 2-hour trip from Camarma on public transit, but they loved it since it is a bilingual church with lots of other Americans.  I joined their young adult group Facebook page a year ago, so I knew that they met each Tuesday night, and last night I made the trip across town to go!  The church is on the opposite side of town from me, so I had a 55 minute trip both ways.  A positive of all of the cross-city metro trips is that I am quickly catching on to Madrid's system.  While at church, I also ran into my friend from ECA, Jessie, who is from Chicago.  She and I hit it off last year and had hoped to see each other this week, as she's leaving next week for a trip and then going back to the States "for good," so it was quite coincidental that we met up at church.  I also met an American who is here from Texas as an au pair for the summer, and she just arrived on Sunday.  We went out to eat after the service, and I helped her navigate back to her house on the bus.



3. I am trying to go to CrossFit consistently at 7:30 am. At home, I sometimes go for the 4:45 am class, or I go at 7:00 or 8:00 if I don't have to be at school early.  But getting up for the class at 7:30 here is so hard!!!  I finally got myself out of bed today to get there, and I met another American!  He works at the US Embassy for the FBI- hopefully I'm allowed to say that- and has been here with his wife and baby son for a year.  The gym has been great for me; I'm understanding a lot, getting more outgoing with other people, and keeping up with something that is part of my daily routine at home.

My intent is not to meet only Americans, but for right now, it's been a big comfort to know that there are other people here too in similar- but still unique- situations.  Also, the two people I met this week speak little to no Spanish, so the fact that I do know the language- even though it feels like I barely know it sometimes- always makes me feel more proud of myself too!

Comments

Popular Posts