intercambio

My study abroad program has great connections with Sevillanas, so we always have opportunities to interact with native Spanish speakers and people who are native to Sevilla!  One of the coolest things they offer is the chance to have an “intercambio.”  Basically, this means we get paired with a Spanish university student who is learning English.  A few times a week we get together on our own and practice the languages.

I finally got to meet with my intercambio, Fran, for the first time this week.  Fran is also 20, and he lives in a pueblo outside of Sevilla, but he goes to the University of Sevilla.  He is studying architecture.  He is the oldest child and has 2 younger siblings who are 5 and 7!  Last week we went to Starbucks, and this week we didn’t have as much time so we just walked around the city.  

One of the most interesting lifestyle differences between Spaniards and Americans is the way that they do college.  Students can go to college for 600 euros a year (this is not me saying that the US should get on board with that)!  However, students attend college in their province, and seldom do they leave home for school.  For example, if Fran wanted to go to a college in Madrid, he most likely wouldn’t be accepted because he’s from Sevilla and there is a university in Sevilla, so there’s no reason for him to go to Madrid.  Also, students do not live in dorms or on campus in any capacity.  Most students, like Fran, live at home with their parents.  The cost of living is so so so high (a good reason why the US should keep doing what they’re doing).  A1 bedroom apartment would cost about 500 euros per month, not including utilities.  The only students who leave home to live on their own while in college are those who live a few hours away from the university.  Still students who live in apartments return home to their families every weekend.  Fortunately, since university prices are so low, students never have college loans- their parents also typically pay for all of their schooling.  Most Spaniards will go back home after they graduate from college and live there until they can make and save enough money to afford an apartment or a house and afford to get married.  It’s pretty normal for Spaniards to be 35 or older before they’re married.

A lot of my friends end up spending half of their time talking completely in English and half of their time talking completely in Spanish when they’re with their intercambios.  However, Fran and I have somehow always ended up talking in Spanish 90% of the time.  This is great practice for me, but I’m not sure about him!

So far, my conversations with Fran have been the hardest that I’ve had with Spanish speakers.  I’ve found that it’s hardest to talk with people who I don’t talk with that often because I’m not used to their tone and can’t pick up on the context as quickly.  I do fine with waiters and clerks in stores, but again, I know the context and can usually guess what they’re going to say.  With Marta and my professors, I can ask for them to repeat things several times if I have to, and they’ll slow down or rephrase their sayings to help my understanding.

As challenging as it is to talk with Fran, it’s also super rewarding, just like anytime that I’m able to have a conversation with any Spaniard.  I’m amazed at how much a 5 minute conversation can boost my confidence.  At the same time, an exchange that does not go well can really take away all of my Spanish-speaking abilities in a matter of seconds.

Comments

Popular Posts