what's in my suitcase- take 2

When I went to Spain last time, I wrote a post about the things I was packing.  I decided to do a similar post this time, since much of what's in my suitcase is very different than what I packed a year and a half ago.

Last time, I lived in Seville, Spain, which is about 7 hours south of Madrid, where I will be this time!  I'm actually living and teaching in a suburb of Madrid called Camarma de Esteruelas.  Last time, I headed to Spain mid-May and experienced an unexpectedly "mild" summer season of 90-100 degree temperatures.  This time, Madrid will be consistently in the 40-60 degree temperatures throughout my 2 month stay.  And last time, I was a student, dressing casually and for fun and travel each day.  This time, I am packing as a "professional" since I will be student teaching- lots of dress pants and professional wear instead of sundresses and jeans.

I didn't reference as many "how to travel in Europe" blogs for this trip, mostly because I'm counting on my experiences to help in planning for success this time.  I've enjoyed looking back at my notes and remembering specific (sometimes humorous) packing tips that have helped me pack better.  I swear by making a packing list- even if the trip is just overnight.  I always am nervous that I will forget something, especially if it's in the laundry, and a list helps me keep my packing concise and organized.

I'm packing in my very, very big rolling suitcase- used just for the second time which is super fun for me because I have weird obsessions with things like storage and school supplies.  I'm going to carry on my small rolling suitcase and my Longchamp tote.  I'm also stuffing a Vera Bradley duffel, a Nike drawstring backpack, a regular backpack, my work bag, and a cross body purse in my checked-luggage.  I used so many bags on a daily basis in the US, so I minimized my selection but am still bringing a lot to help with my organization and comfortability in Spain.

I have several pairs of basic dress pants (black, gray, khaki) and a couple of pairs of jeans.  I'm taking just a few comfortable and neutral dresses and skirts that will work right now while it's cooler and as it transitions to warmer weather nearer the end of my stay.

I'm packing several cardigans- black, tan, gray, navy, and olive green- and a few jackets.  I will wear my winter coat, and I'm packing a rain jacket, a jean jacket, and a long "military" jacket.  I'm also packing a black vest.  I'm taking several sweaters- again, neutral colors- but just 2 sweatshirts since I won't need as many casual clothes.  I also have quite a few button down shirts of various colors, styles, and fabrics.  I wear these all the time by themselves or with a cardigan or sweater over for an extra layer, plus they're great for casual and professional outfits.

Packing shoes is always the hardest, but I think it was especially hard this time because all of my shoes are heavy, winter shoes.  I am taking running shoes and regular tennis shoes, several pairs of flats, white Converse, black and brown booties, tall brown boots, and my Hunter rain boots.

As far as "extras" go, I have workout gear, school supplies, chargers and outlet adapters, toiletries, my laptop/iPad/phone, and some pictures to make my area feel more like "home."

I'm so excited- and pretty nervous, too- for my quickly approaching trip.  I will be leaving home for Chicago on Sunday, and I'll fly out that afternoon.  I finish at Alexandria tomorrow (Wednesday), so I have a few days off to get organized and ready to go.  Be praying for me as I travel and as I finalize packing- especially because my suitcase currently weighs 49 pounds and the limit is 50 :)

Bookmark my blog again and keep up with me as I take on student teaching in Madrid!

Comments

Popular Posts