questions / preguntas

As I've been preparing for my (very quickly) approaching trip to Spain, I've asked my fair share of questions.  I'm sure my university supervisors, and my cooperating principal and teacher, are tired of my questions, but as you can understand, every question I ask leads to three more questions!  I am trying to work out travel and housing logistics and coordinate those details among several parties.  Plus, oh yeah, I'll be actually teaching full time for the majority of my stay!  I'm a little overwhelmed right now, but I know that everything will work out in time.

For my sake, and hopefully to the benefit of any other student teachers considering going overseas in the future, I'm documenting some of the questions that I have asked over the past few months.  Hopefully you already know these details, or you have a starting point for preparing for your trip!

(My school is an international Christian school, so some of the questions are specific to my school and to Spain.)


1. What are your and the school's expectations of me?  What is different than what I would have experienced here in the US, such as after or before school obligations? 

2. What is the dress code at school for teachers?  Do students wear uniforms?

3. How many students are there in our class?  In the school?  What nationalities are represented in our class and in the school?

4. What resources (technology, supplies, space) are available to be used?  Is there anything that I can bring from the states when I come?

5. Where will I be housed?  Also, what can I expect to pay for my housing, and what will that payment include (utilities, meals, internet, phone?)?

6. What do you recommend for the best option for having money and making purchases?

7. Does the school have worship or chapel during the school day?  Are there local churches that you would recommend?

8. Before I purchase a flight, I am supposed to confirm that I have someone picking me up at the airport and getting me to my living space.  Who should I expect to pick me up?  What should I plan as my “back up plan” if a miscommunication or other error occurs?  Can I easily access a train, cab, or bus to the school? 

9. From what I have researched, I do not need a visa for an 8 week stay.  Is that correct?  Do you have any suggestions for handling my passport and passport copies? 

10.  How will I get from home to school each day?  How will I get around town?  What is transportation like to get to the airport or to a bus stop if I am traveling?

11.  What will I do for meals?  Are any meals at school provided?  Will I be responsible for meals on my own, or will that be a part of my rent payment?

12. Where can I buy groceries? Is there a drugstore or supermarket nearby if I need emergency items?

13. What should I expect the weather to be like during my stay (February-April)?  Should I plan to bring a heavy winter coat?  Are temperatures consistent?  Do you have any clothing suggestions, for professional wear and for clothes outside of school?

14.  What type of cell phone or provider do you recommend?  

15.  Where will I have internet access?  Can I expect my housing situation to have wifi?  Does the school have wifi?  Are there local cafes where I can get wifi?

16.  Do you have any advice for scheduling, booking, and purchasing my flights?  Do you recommend buying flight insurance? 

At this point, most of these questions have been answered! I know a lot about my students, the school, the curriculum, and my teacher- and I look forward to Skyping soon to learn even more details.  

One thing that I have certainly learned through the preparation process of this experience is that communication is crucial.  I do not think that I (or any of my supervisors) can overcommunicate.  I have tried not to make any assumptions, and I make it a point to check in on a regular basis with all of the people playing a part in my arrangements just to make sure that we haven't let any pieces slip through the cracks.  My cross-cultural placement coordinator is located in China, I'm student teaching in Spain, and I go to school in Indiana, so communication is obviously tough, but I've definitely made frequent communication a priority.    


Comments

Popular Posts