random blessings

As I mentioned in a previous post, I’ve been trying to figure out how to best use my time that I have left.  I only have 8 more days in Sevilla!  I really cannot believe it, and I really don’t think I’m ready to go!  Yesterday I had an evening free, so I decided I was going to finish up most of my shopping.  After class, I went home to take eat lunch and take a siesta, and then I headed to the center.

I got my debit card today so I finally have money and am ready for Spain... too bad I’m leaving next week now haha.  But yesterday I went to a local bank to convert some more USD to euros- this is a terrible idea so I really don’t recommend it because you have to pay the exchange rate plus a fee and it’s just easier if you have a debit card!  Anyways, while I was at the bank, I had a great conversation with the teller as he was making my transaction.  He asked me why I was in Sevilla, how long I had been here, when I was going home, etc.  I asked him if he’d been to the US and he said he’s visited Michigan, Washington, and Chicago (everyone thinks Chicago is a state I think haha).  His wife has family there.  As I've spent more time actually living in Sevilla, I’ve regretted not making many connections with people here outside of school.  My Spanish has improved tremendously either way, but I wish I had gotten to know more people at stores that I frequent, restaurants, the bank, and in my apartment.

After my trip to the bank, I headed into the center to the main street for shopping with H&M, Zara, Pull & Bear, and all of my favorites.  The rebajas or discounts began this week, so every store was advertising major sales; one of my friends had told me about this before coming to Spain, so I knew I could hold off for a little and then have some fun at the end.  This was really the first time that I’d ventured into the center on my own for a long period of time, so I felt like I finally got to really take it all in.  I was listening to conversations on the street and understanding, and I talked with several people and had authentic conversations.  Just like when we take a second to stop talking and listen when using English, I think it was a great chance for me to stop talking (in either language) and just listen to the people around me and learn.  

The first shop I went to is a little make up store kind of like Sephora (there is also a Sephora) called Kiko.  I bought several fun little items because everything was on sale, and I got to talk with one of the clerks about the color that she recommended for my cousin’s eyes.  I went to El Corte Ingles because I really wanted to buy a book of some sorts to bring back to the US; I ended up getting a Spanish dictionary- like a dictionary that’s in Spanish with Spanish definitions, and a coffee table book about Sevilla.  While I was checking out, I saw a man buying The Fault in Our Stars!  The book was everywhere in the store which is crazy since John Green is from Indiana of all places.  When he came up to the counter, I said that I loved that book and he started to ask me about it.  He told me it was a gift for his sister, and I told him that she was probably going to cry.  Later I went to Women’s Secret (it’s like Victoria’s Secret, and it’s so strange that the store is named women’s secret and not mujeres or something), and while I was checking out there was a little boy, his sister, and their mom in front of me.  The kids were fighting over a little toy and each one kept shouting “it’s mine! it’s mine!”  The mom and I made eye contact and we exchanged an eye roll moment.  Times like these make me realize how similar life here actually is.  I could make a list of 1000 differences, but honestly the people here are so much the same.

When I got home from shopping and was in the elevator up to my apartment, I met a woman who turned out to be Juanjo’s aunt!  We had a nice little conversation about when I arrived, when I’m leaving, and if I liked Sevilla.  It was another great chance to converse, and then I had something to talk about with Marta when I got home!

I walked back on a long route that evening after shopping and was having so many deep thoughts about my time in Spain and the full 360 that I’ve made in terms of attitude and comfortability in just 6 or so weeks.  I’ve decided that shopping provokes deep thinking so maybe I’ll do it more often :)  

Comments

  1. This blog is, by far, one of my favorite posts you have written. I can hear your voice through it all. What a wonderful experience with memories and relationships to last a lifetime! So very proud of you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts