getting to know sevilla

One thing I hoped for long before I even left for Seville was that I would be able to find my sense of direction so that I would feel comfortable walking around the city and discovering things.  Typically, I am very good with knowing where I’m at all the time, but apparently my internal compass was left somewhere in Chicago.  I can easily get to and from school; I only have to take 1 turn, and it’s a straight shot.  I finally figured out that the river (El Río Guadalquivir) goes north/south (more or less).  However, the streets have no sort of pattern and are poorly labeled, plus all of the buildings look the same to me right now.  Sometimes I think I know where I am, and then I see the group turning the other direction.  Other times, I feel really disoriented, and then I realize I am at my destination.  Thankfully my class does a lot of walking around the city, so I have started to know some landmarks and know the center of the city a lot better.  And again, it’s only my fourth day.


My school is right across the Guadalquivir in the yellow and white building.  It’s basically an office suite covered into some classrooms, but it is very nice and in a great location.  The school has become a meeting spot for when we meet up and go out because no one else really knows where they’re at yet either (reassuring), and it’s very easy to get to from all of our hosts’ houses.

Clearly (and naturally, obviously, understandably...) I didn’t know what to expect about Seville, Spain, and Europe in general.  I knew Seville was a city, but I thought it was a little smaller than it actually is.  By most standards, Seville IS a very small city.  I just live in rural Summitville, Indiana.  Anyway, I figured that Marta and Juanjo would live in a house rather than an apartment.  For some reason, the idea of an apartment never even crossed my mind.  Their apartment is on La Calle Santa Fe (or Santa Fe Street) in building number 9 (not 11; flashback to the first day... yikes) on the 11 floor.  There are 12 floors in the building, and there are 4 apartments on each floor.  However, there are 3 apartment buildings in the complex that appear to be all basically the same.  


In the apartment, you walk in to the lobby that just has the mailboxes, stairs, and elevator.  The concept of numbering floors in buildings is different in Spain (and all of Europe if I understand correctly).  Instead of the main floor being 1, it’s 0.  So I guess technically Marta’s apartment is on the 12 floor, but we still push the button for the 11 floor.  Confusing!  

the outside of the building
the elevators
Marta’s apartment is very different than what I had expected, but again I didn’t really even know what I was expecting.  It is very small, but I guess it’s actually pretty standard for an apartment in the city in the US too.  When you walk in the door, there is a hallway straight ahead and the kitchen is on the right.  Our room is through the kitchen.  The living room, the main bathroom, Juanjo’s room, and Marta’s room are all down the hallway.  The living room looks like any living room in a house or an apartment in the US.  It’s got a lot of natural light, and I love to sit in there during the siesta to Skype or talk on the phone... and get on my computer when Marta’s not home ;)  



The kitchen is incredibly small.  There is barely enough room for 2 people to stand at once.  The appliances are pretty much the same as what we have int eh US, but just more dated.  Having "big" and “new" is just not a priority.  I spend a lot of my time at “home” in the kitchen because I’m either eating or doing homework.  The first day, I sat in the living room to get on my computer and Marta scolded me because she said I was going to hurt my back; the señoras are all mother hens.  Marta is in the kitchen a lot too, and so I will sit in there while she cooks and talks.  The TV in the kitchen is always on (pretty loud too), but it’s never in the way of conversation.  




My bedroom is also really, really small.  There are 2 twin beds (I don’t think they’re actually even full twin size), and there’s a dresser, a nightstand, and a closet.  I have my clothes organized pretty well (okay, nothing like home), but for the time I have and what I need, it all works.  Across from the bedroom is our bathroom.  I never thought it was possible for any shower to be smaller than the IWU dorm showers, but I have been proved wrong.  The toilet has a cord to pull to flush it; most have a button instead of a handle like at home.  


  


Hopefully you enjoyed the little tour of my house!  Today has been much, much better.  Katie, one of the SIS staff, told me that when she came to live abroad, she finally realized that literally the only thing in her life that is constant is God.  It’s hard to forgo my identity (job, school, family, home, friends) in the US for a whole new way of life.  Even though I have really nothing here that is normal, the Lord is still on my side.  I’ve definitely been feeling the power of all of your prayers back home, and I feel encouraged to know that there are so many people thinking and praying for me... But I’m not good to go, so keep ‘em coming :)   

Oh, and can you tell I really like blogging?  

Comments

Popular Posts